Lions Sports Academy Ltd
UK-based Lions Sports Academy focus primarily on helping children and young adults to realise their potential through sport and physical activity. Their mission is to build confidence in more young people, of all abilities, utilising state-of-the-art and leading-edge science and technology.
Lions' main offering includes supporting schools and sports clubs with their coaching for sports including rugby, hockey, cricket netball, football and athletic development. We place qualified coaches where schools have passionate inexperienced subject teachers such as maths and English, and clubs who have passionate but unqualified and inexperienced parents to provide support and role models to the players.
In 2020 we started to invest in a rugby tackle intervention programme in an attempt to provide a proactive approach to growing concerns around safety in rugby, it is our aim to create confident and competent rugby players who stay in the sport for a lifetime. We are looking for businesses to help us support the programme through sponsorship.
After many prototypes of the programme, the team at Lions Sports Academy Ltd successfully designed and developed the UK’s first rugby tackle intervention programme enabling teachers and coaches to safely and effectively deliver the tackle programme. The key findings from our unpublished research so far show the Lions Tackle Coaching programme:
- Improves rugby tackle competency
- Improves trunk (core) stabilisation
- Improves whole-body movement competency
- Improves lower body strength
- Improves lower body power
The system is being further developed and refined to allow teachers and coaches to access online coaching and support to enable continued work throughout an unprecedented, and ongoing, lack of talent resources and teachers leaving the sector and lack of teachers training which means less well-placed people to deliver coaching to children.
As a sponsor you will receive regular updates on the study so you can see our progress, the choice of which schools we can deliver the programme to and the knowledge that you are supporting rugby to develop and ensure it stays in the grassroots.
It is our objective to use the research to determine a coaching resource to be hosted online and made accessible to teachers and coaches to help to make the contact area in rugby safer and more enjoyable.
- Teachers and parents have access to leading-edge strength and conditioning and coaching science practices that can be delivered affordably to help increase rugby tackling competency and reduce injury.
- Organisations must be able to easily deliver through our tried and tested scheme of work the desired and relevant content
- The solution must be easy-to-follow and implement training that parents and teachers can deliver to their children and students
- The programme must be fully searchable to allow coaches and organisations to easily find content with both generic and detailed search terms
- Individualised reports showing areas of strengths and weaknesses for players and teachers/coaches to work on
- Group reports showing areas of strengths, red flags and other potential weaknesses with considerations and suggestions for how to improve.
- The solution must be clearly and methodically laid out with information that is easily interpreted both by teachers and students. The reports must be able to be compiled and sent on mass to allow for scaling.
- Teachers, parents and students must be able to access current and previous reports to show progress. This must be easily accessible through technology and get away from pen and paper
- The solution is a unique user interface which has the ability to record each performance and feedback so that it will show a ‘performance passport’ for the player.