Why Chichester College Rugby Academy
The Colleges vision for sport is to create an environment in which all students can achieve success and pleasure from engagement and participation, through to excellence in competition and performance.
Chichester College has some of the very finest sports facilities in the south with plans to improve those further still. This combined with the newly announced College Group merger will make Chichester College a focal point for education across the south with a reach of 25000 students and over a million online visitors every year.
This year we will see the opening of a new Rugby Academy at the college, unlike many other Academy’s we will align to all courses across campus reaching a much larger and diverse playing cohort.
The new Rugby Academy at Chichester College has been recognised by the Rugby Football Union and has been officially appointed an “RFU Focus College”, this will be the cornerstone of our development, over the next three years, the Academy will receive significant funding and support from the RFU, CB Bodies (Hampshire, Sussex RFU) and Regional Academies (Harlequins/London Irish).
The role of the Rugby Academy is to identify and develop talented young athletes from age 16 to 19 and engage them in a High-Performance development programme. Players join the academy through a variety of routes and are assisted in their rugby development to attain their ultimate goal - joining the first team squad within their respective clubs.
This is underpinned by educational courses available at Chichester College, thus providing the necessary structure for each player to reach their full potential both on and off the pitch. We will provide our young players with an environment in which they can grow, express themselves both personally and professionally and realise their dream of becoming professional rugby players.
I am truly excited about the new Rugby Academy and working alongside the RFU.
· To identify, recruit ad develop, from all sources, the most talented young players and bring them through the Academy into their respective 1st XV squad.
· To adopt a comprehensive recruitment policy in Sussex and Hampshire.
· To provide top class coaching by qualified staff to give each Academy player the best opportunity to succeed.
· To provide the most appropriate individual player development, mentoring and support programs.
· To provide the most appropriate competitive program for each player and to constantly review performance in training and matches.
· To provide the best possible facilities for our players to succeed.
· To provide the opportunity for Academy players to continue in Further or higher Education.
· To build good working relationships with other local schools, Clubs, Colleges and Universities.
· To teach responsibility, discipline and respect for themselves and the game.
· To set high standards for integrity, honesty and performance