Why Hunslet Nelson Cricket Club
Hunslet Nelson Cricket Club
We are a community, self-funding, volunteer-based cricket club in the inner city of south Leeds. We run three senior and six junior teams. We also run two rounders teams and host numerous junior cricket festivals, cricket finals days, school festivals, sports days and community-based events.
Our senior and junior cricket teams play in:
· ECB Bradford Premier League
· Heavy Woollen District Junior Cricket League
· Bradford Junior Cricket League
· Mid Yorkshire Sunday Cricket League
We provide cricket for children in the local community and throughout the county.
· We run junior teams in the Heavy Woollen District Junior Cricket League at under 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17 and under 19’s in the Bradford Junior Cricket League. Our Saturday teams play in the ECB Bradford Premier League and our Sunday team in the Mid Yorkshire Sunday Cricket League.
· As a club we host both the All Stars (Under 8’s) and Dynamo Cricket (under 10’s) softball cricket.
· Annually we host: several primary school festivals and sports days; ECB (England & Wales Cricket Board) Under 15’s Finals day; numerous cricket camps and primary school finals days for the YCB (Yorkshire Cricket Board).
· We annually run a week-long ‘Enjoy Cricket Week’ (cricket camp) for 6 to under 15’s. This entails playing different sports but essentially it is about enjoyment and fun!
We are home to the Hunslet Nelson Rounders Team who have two teams, both training and playing twice a week between April and September.
In late August we annually host a music festival for the community, to promote local bands and the good work we undertake in the community.
Why sponsor us?
Hunslet Nelson believe our hard work to continually strive to improve our facilities and partnerships can offer potential sponsors a return they are seeking from their investment.
· We have an excellent reputation both in the locality and further afield. So, offering potential sponsors a good profile to a well-respected and known cricket club with good media links
· We are a diverse club that encourages male and female participation and attracts all ethnicities without prejudice
· With the right sponsor there is potential to create an outstanding venue to promote your business, to engage with both clients and staff
· Both cricket and rounders are healthy lifestyle activities which encourage social and physical interaction which will be very important in the post Covid-19 world
Hunslet Nelson is offering potential sponsors a range of sponsorship opportunities that may generate interest in different areas. We are seeking sponsorship for:
· Playing and training kit for both senior and junior teams
· Our annual ‘Enjoy Cricket Week’ junior coaching camp
· Our annual music festival
· Media opportunities such as:
prizes at our annual junior and senior presentation evenings
match day package for sponsors
company logo and link on social media posts and website's sponsors' page
physical advertisement on club assets
opportunities to advertise at club events
invites to club events
We are a progressive cricket club that is taking the lead in South Leeds of providing sport for young people.
We provide numerous outlets such cricket festivals and tournaments. Providing soft and hard ball cricket from 5 to under 19, with the prospect of leading to adult cricket.
As a community-based club we continue to host women rounders, our annual junior ‘Enjoy Cricket Week’ and music festival.
At the start of 2021:
· have started to totally refurbish our tearoom for a better community experience
· About to commence redecorating and improving our changing rooms
· Refurbishing our scorebox
· Acquired more junior coaches to deliver All Stars and Dynamo Cricket soft ball training
· Once given the green light, will recommence providing indoor junior cricket coaching
Since moving to our current home in 2000 we have drastically changed its appearance through constant improvements. We have:
· New changing rooms
· Converted a tearoom
· New scorebox
· Installed three bay practice area
· Re-laid outfield
· Constructed new sightscreens
· Purchased mobile pitch covers
· Planted trees and landscaped the perimeter
· Built new car park and entrance
· New perimeter fencing near ground entrance
Due to Covid-19 2020 was a difficult year with limited competitive cricket and even less social interaction with income generation through sport and social activities non-existent. However, Hunslet Nelson still managed to run three adult teams, five junior team, two rounders teams and hold our annual ‘Enjoy Cricket Week’ (cricket camp).
Like any organisation we cannot stand still. Our aspirations for the future are in three parts:
· Continue to develop junior and senior cricket
· Continually strive to improve facilities
· Improved links with the local community and an enhanced role as a 'hub’ for sporting and non-sporting activities
Hunslet Nelson over the vast years we have been in existence have always relied on developing players. This we want to enhance by widening our base to under five-year olds through the soft ball cricket initiative, All Stars! By having more coaches, we can enhance the playing experience and attract more young people to play sport. This hopefully will initiate an even better playing experience and will develop a life-long commitment to the club.
Our plans in the near future are to build a new clubhouse, changing rooms and maintenance bay. This is to attract more playing and social members and given them a better environment to enjoy sport and socialise.
New facilities are important for the locality so we can undertake more community-based projects as well as enhancing the existing initiatives we currently run such as rounders teams, cricket camps, music festivals and cricket festivals.
The club was originally called the Albion but changed its name in 1869 to Hunslet Nelson. The Club has been a part of the community of South Leeds for over 150 years!
Hunslet in the late Victorian and early Edwardian times had over 70 cricket clubs and teams, today there is only one, Hunslet Nelson.
Like most clubs in the mid nineteenth century Hunslet Nelson played friendly matches and started playing league cricket in the Leeds Second Class League in 1893. From 1906 we played in the different guises of the Leeds & District Cricket League until 1964. In 1965 we played in the Central Yorkshire Cricket League until 2015 when the league merged with the Bradford Premier League which we started playing in, in 2016.
We are proud of our history in providing the local community with a sporting outlet which over the years has seen rugby league, rugby union and football played on our previous grounds. Today we host cricket, rounders, junior festivals and finals and community-based activities.
As a cricket club we have a great tradition of coaching and encouraging players from all backgrounds in playing cricket. Many our junior players have gone on to play representative cricket, played for their respective county age groups and represented North of England
We look forward to working with you!