Why Victoria Community Boccia Club
Victoria Community Boccia Club is open to people with physical and/or learning disabilities. Boccia is a tactical Paralympic sport similar to bowls. The club does not have an age restriction; however, the club is mainly aimed at people over the age of eighteen. Victoria Community Boccia Club is the only stand-alone club in Dorset and was established to increase the number of players locally who have been forced to stop playing having left school.
Why Sponsor Us?
By sponsoring our club, you will be enabling us to help grow the Paralympic sport of Boccia. Your support will impact the quality of training our members receive through new equipment, funding training courses so coaches can keep up-to-date, or sponsoring a local competition or event.
Benefits for sponsors:
- Invites to club training sessions.
- Invites to fundraising events and local competitions organised VCBC.
- Exposure on all of the club's social media outlets.
- Opportunities to display company banners at club events and training sessions.
- Dedicated a page of our website with a blurb about the sponsor's company.
- Logo exposure via our headed papers.
- Invites to compete in our annual VCBC Sponsorship Cup tournament.
Victoria Community Boccia Club was originally piloted by Victoria School, a special needs school in Dorset. The pilot scheme was a success and popular, however, due to the time commitment, the school were unable to dedicate the resources required. However, some of the players were determined to make the club a success and officially founded Victoria Community Boccia Club in July 2016, keeping the original name as a tribute to the school.
Today the club is thriving with enthusiastic and loyal members, who love Boccia. The members are committed to helping Victoria Community Boccia Club succeed and continue to grow. The club has become an important part of its member’s lives, physically, mentally and socially. Victoria Community Boccia Club is not only a Boccia outlet, for many members, but it’s also an opportunity to socialise with friends.
Victoria Community Boccia Club have qualified and passionate volunteers to oversee the safe running of sessions. To date, the club has eight trained coaches, including two senior coaches. Many of our coaches are also trained match officials or are awaiting training to become match officials.
The club has been recognised for its innovative work in the community, both by BBC Sports Personality of the Year, and Boccia England. The club also does outreach work in the community, offering training to schools, and has taken part in a local community project in Christchurch to help popularise the sport. Our plan for the future is to develop a second club in Dorset and to have teams competing in the National League.
Victoria Community Boccia Club has been working towards a successful future by setting out realistic short-term and long-term goals. Our main priority is restarting in a safe environment after COVID-19 and helping our members to regain the skills that may have been lost in the year of no training.
Our short-term goals are:
- Ensuring the club has a safe environment to return to after COVID-19 e.g., the facility is clean.
- Implementing a COVID-19 risk assessment and policy to ensure the club is prepared for a safe return.
- Supporting the members to overcome any potential anxieties and to feel safe and confident to return to the club.
- Working with the members to regain skills that could have been lost due to lack of play over the last year.
Our long-term goals are to:
- Apply for charity status to open up funding opportunities.
- Designing and implementing development and action plans for both players and coaches.
- Enable future volunteers to qualify as Boccia coaches and officials if they wish.
- Increase the number of club training sessions on offer once more coaches are available.
- Hold local competitions with schools to promote the club and increase membership.
- Hold competitions for sponsors (e.g. a sponsors tournament) and other organisations to enable people to experience the game and increase awareness of the sport.
More details about our history will be available shortly.